Your Favorite Posts
Interested in Sponsorship?Please fill out the contact form on the bottom of the site and we would be happy to let you know how you can support the Face of Dayton.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
History Bit: Street Names in Downtown Dayton
Home \ News March 8, 2011
Have you ever wondered what is the history behind some of the street names in downtown Dayton? If so, check out this History Bit from Montgomery County Report.
Video — History Bits: Street Names in Downtown Dayton
Dayton Fun Facts
As you heard Alex Heckman, Director of Education and Museum Operations at Dayton History explain, many of the streets in Dayton are named after military heros from the American Revolutionary War era. These figures include General Arthur St. Clair, Colonel Israel Ludlow, General James Wilkinson and General Anthony Wayne.
A better-known namesake is Patterson Boulevard, which is named after John Henry Patterson, inventor of the modern cash register and founder of the National Cash Register Company. But, did you know that Dorothy Lane is named after John H. Patterson’s daughter Dorothy, who used to ride her horse down the path which later became the main thoroughfare? Far Hills Avenue also has a tie to the Patterson family, whose estate was named the Far Hills.
The city of Dayton is named after Jonathan Dayton, the youngest signatory of the U.S. Constitution and the 8th President of the Continental Congress. Depending on how you define city, community, or town, there are up to 28 Daytons in the United States, with Dayton Ohio being the largest.
Thanks to our friends at Montgomery County for letting us share this video. The Media Group produced this segment in 2008 as part of the show Montgomery County Report. Also thanks to Alex Heckman at Dayton History for sharing his knowledge of the greater Dayton region.
The MVRPC is “Going Places”, and so is Dayton
August 23, 2011
Dayton Dragons to host Hometown Heroes tribute game for returning soldiers
August 18, 2011
Olive, an urban dive : another Dayton gem
August 16, 2011
Fraze Pavilion has big acts, small atmosphere
August 12, 2011
Free Seminar on Modern Marketing and Online Media to be Hosted by the Media Group @ Michael’s
August 8, 2011
- Ash Painting Inc.
- Centerville Schools
- Centerville-Washington Park District
- Centerville-Washington Township Times
- DARA – Dayton Area Recruiting Alliance
- Dayton Business Journal
- Dayton Development Coalition
- Generation Dayton
- Golf Club at Yankee Trace
- Greater Dayton Area Hospital Association
- Miami Valley Dream Homes
- Montgomery County Clerk of Courts
- OH! Social
- Professional Home Referrals
- Rollandia Golf Center
- Superior Dental Care
- Synergy HomeCare of South Dayton
- Think Twice
- UD Research Institute
- University of Dayton
- Washington-Centerville Public Library
- Wright State Research Institute
- Pearle Streczywilk said Hello everyone! Nice website! Does anyone know more blogs on this topic?...
- Lola Coleman said ;) Do you have any idea why your post got the recommendation from Themelis Cuiper's Social...
- kimberly collett said thanks to all of you at the Face of Dayton for spotlighting our little dive!...
- www.finddaytonohiohomes.com said Fantastic news!...
- Pondo Sinatra said Let's not forget - the birthplace of Guided By Voices....
- Rufus Dogg said Oops...
- mediagrouponline said Thanks for commenting Nicole, we couldn't agree more!...
- Nicole Johnson said As a Trotwood Council Member, I am very excited about this new site. We shoudd embrace ou...
- Lisa Homer said What a great beginning for a great come back to Dayton!!!! It will happen here. The best o...
- Erik Collins said Miichel,
This is a great start. Thank you for believing in our community as it has so muc...